Stress Reduction Ideas
Sometimes those anonymous viral emails have value. I’ve edited this list and added to it.
1. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.
2. Going to bed early helps because a rested mind handles issues more calmly and getting up early starts the day un-rushed.
3. Breathe deeply and relax your muscles for a few seconds several times a day, especially after a tense encounter.
4. Say “No” to projects that will have to be crammed into your schedule, or that may strain your mental health.
5. Delegate tasks to capable others.
6. Streamlining and organizing your schedule and environment tamps down stress.
7. Slow down. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
8. Break big changes and difficult projects into bite size pieces and take on one at a time.
9. It reduces stress to live within your budget and avoid using a credit card if it can’t be paid off monthly.
10. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps in the desk, etc.
11. Talk less; listen more.
12. Do something for the Kid-in-You everyday.
13. Sugar is just “borrowed energy” and you may pay the price later in a low. Minerals in vegetables are calming. Eat for the way you would like to feel.
14. While driving listen to a CD that can somehow help improve your quality of life.
15. Write down good memories and inspirations to look back on when you are down.
16. Every day, find time to be alone.
17. Try to nip small problems in the bud.
18. Avoid people and TV programs (the news?) that stress you out.
19. Laugh. And then laugh some more! Why pay to go to a stress-inducing movie?
20. Take your mission seriously, but yourself not at all.
21. Be kind even to unkind people (they probably need it the most). Giving is good for the soul.
22. Don’t waste a lot of time and energy trying to prove you are “right.”
23. Every night before bed, think of one thing you’re grateful for that you’ve never been grateful for before..even if it is a very little thing.
24. Memorize the Serenity Prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference.