Note that there is another page with medications.
URGENT—WHAT TO DO IF YOU BECOME ILL WITH COVID-19. As I stated on the Big Picture page, it is an unforgivable travesty that hundreds of thousands of Americans died with covid-19 when there are preventive measures and early interventions that could have saved most all of them. Obviously, stay home and away from people whom you might infect. For an enlightened medical view, get the free guide offered by the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, A Guide to Home-Based COVID Treatment. Also, here is a medical journal article where a large number of doctors make a case for early treatment with what we already know while we wait for the gold standard studies. Early action saves lives. The “authorities” on TV are killing people by telling them in effect to “just wait until you are sick enough to justify the $2,000 a day drugs and ventilators.” Also read HBNshow.com/articles/your-system-is-powerful/, for baseline diet and lifestyle factors that will improve immune function because regardless of interventions, it is your immune system that ultimately defeats the virus. Below are the most important supplements to take right away.
Natural prevention & remedies. Although medications can save lives in a crisis, building your body’s ability to take care of itself will serve you well against long term covid effects, against mutations and other pathogens. I should point out that “not proven” is a vastly different thing than “disproven”. The FDA only considers a substance as “proven” if it is (a) a drug, (b) has gone through many years and hundreds of millions of dollars in testing and (c) is not used as a natural alternative to one of their precious pharmaceuticals. Since nutrients cannot be patented, what company would pay for those studies when competing companies would then be able sell it? Furthermore, the FDA would not allow the supplement company to even make claims of benefit that would promote sales.
Fortunately, there is a great deal of basic university science on how various nutrients help the immune system and fight viruses. I’m not saying that makes them “proven remedies for covid-19”. But, as Bill Sardi has coached us, there is much to gain and little to lose by becoming well-nourished in vitamin D, vitamin C, zinc and selenium
- Vitamin D3 – take 50,000 IU per day for at least 3 days or until you feel better hopefully in a week or so. (A Spanish study gave what is the equivalent of 100,000 IU the first day and found it safe.) Then taper back to 10,000 over a few days. Yes, these are large doses compared to government guidelines, but there is a lot of science showing that they are safe, and the plan works! Vitamin D aids immune function and helps prevent the inflammatory storm that causes most of the covid deaths. There is no mention yet in the news, but studies are slowly coming in. One study showed that persons with insufficient vitamin D blood levels were almost twice (1.77x) as likely to test positive for covid-19. For a comprehensive discussion of how high dose vitamin D3 can protect you from Covid-19, LINK to a 1-hour YouTube discussion with Jeff Bowles and the National Health Federation. For this short-term emergency use, any brand Vitamin D3 will work but 10,000 IU pills are more convenient and they are available for 5 cents a day on Walmart.com.
This authoritative article by a former Surgeon General and other experts cites a lot of compelling research, Don’t Let COVID-19 Patients Die With Vitamin D Deficiency – We can’t wait for perfect evidence. Also know that the recent randomized controlled trial in Spain (mentioned above) of hospitalized patients showed that vitamin D reduced the risk of ICU admission by 98% and death by 100%. ICU admission by those receiving the same medication without the vitamin D was 50% with 2-3 deaths. A Boston university study shows that vitamin D cuts the death rate from covid. (See below for prevention supplementation.)
- Zinc lozenges – Zinc is very important for preventing the replication and spread of viruses. The Wall Street Journal wrote a good article on it, Trump Takes Zinc. Maybe You Should Too. It contains some great information about zinc benefits and links to authoritative sources. (I created an HBN page for this because, otherwise, only WSJ subscribers would be able to read the lifesaving article.) Researchers from Spain reported that patients in hospitals during March and April of 2020 who had low blood levels of zinc were more than twice as likely to die in the hospital. Studies show that zinc in the lozenge form works best for respiratory infections. The total intake for the day should be 75 mg (more than should be taken routinely). LifespanNutrition.com (800-247-5731) has the only lozenge I found that does that so intelligently designed that it contains an ingredient to help get zinc into infected cells where it can stop viral replication. (Better to order now and have them on hand just in case any upper respiratory illness strikes.)
- Vitamin C – C Vitamin C activates sluggish immune cells and can even be curative when given as an IV. It protects the body from oxidative damage which can even occur when the immune system overreacts. There is growing scientific interest in C for viruses like covid. I take 1,000 mg every few hours if ill. Check the label, e.g. the Emergen-C brand C powder may contain zinc, which when combined with the more important zinc lozenges, might send you over the recommended daily intake.
- Selenium can help – Among many other benefits, Selenium keeps zinc from being bound up and thereby unavailable. Bill Sardi stated this, “selenium, a trace mineral, prevents viral mutations and has been demonstrated to improve the cure rate by 500%. Also, selenium deficiency is associated with covid-19 mortality.
- Resveratrol is amazing. Among the benefits it has regarding the pandemic, resveratrol normalizes immune function, activates vitamin D, helps block attachment of the virus to the cell receptors, helps prevent blood clots and protects the delicate lung tissue and heart. This article tells about other ways resveratrol helps with covid. Read another article about resveratrol’s many other benefits..
- Vitamin B1 – It appears that the stress and confinement of the pandemic have led people to drink more coffee, tea and alcohol as well as eat more sugary comfort foods. Those things deplete vitamin B1 (also known as thiamine). Insufficiency of thiamine causes symptoms that mimic those of the virus and it can cause nerve and brain damage. Read more. I recommend Nerve Guardian. It is very effective and quite inexpensive.
- Andrographis. I have long recommended the herb Andrographis paniculata in my Colds and Flu remedy kit (the article also discusses the antiviral benefits of other plants) because of its historic reputation for helping with upper respiratory conditions. Modern science is backing up that value as shown in this analysis. Recently, this investigation looked at the potential for it to help with covid-19.
- Melatonin. You may be familiar with this over-the-counter hormone as an aid for sleep and jet lag. If you have ever tried to get healing rest in a hospital, you can imagine a benefit. Read about how even one night of poor sleep inhibits immune function. Melatonin is also an antioxidant and has been extensively studied for cancer.
- For respiratory distress. Please consider using hydrogen peroxide in a nebulizer. Get the protocol specifics and more ideas in an article by Tom Levy, MD. He discusses a colleague’s several spectacular covid cure results using nebulized hydrogen peroxide. He is also offering his amazing book, Rapid Virus Recovery, for FREE.
Sherry Rogers, MD recently did a webinar on how to stop covid-19 at any stage of its progress. Click here for a link to that webinar.
PREVENTION. Prevention is far better than trying to cure anything. In addition to (not instead of) the standard advice about distancing, masks and hand washing, these supplements will help:
- Vitamin D. Blood levels should routinely test at 70-100 ng/ml, not the pitiful 20-30 ng/ml usually shown as “normal” on test reports. Achieving optimum levels typically takes daily doses of D3 in the 8,000-10,000 range. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and administration spokesperson admitted during one interview that he takes 6,000 IU of D per day. For the long term, it is important to also take vitamin K2 . That is because D3 increases calcium uptake into circulation and the vitamin K gets the calcium into the bones rather than it hanging around causing trouble in the blood vessels. Now Foods makes a spray combination that is balanced in D3 and K2, it is highly absorbed and easy to dose. Ask your natural food store to get it or you can find it online. Save money with powdered nutrients. If you want to try that, they are available on vitaspace.com.
Zinc. It is good to take about 30 mg a day routinely. I think the best way to get 30 mg in an easy to absorb form is to take Molecular Multi from LifespanNutrition.com (800-247-5731). (It also contains other nutrients we need and is the best multi I have ever found.) If you are happy with your multi and need extra zinc, T-cell zinc™ is a unique form that supports the thymus gland. (The thymus gland produces T–cells which provide long term immunity to covid-19 and other pathogens.) T-cell Zinc is available from Longevinex.com. 866-405-4000. Again, when sick the lozenge form mentioned above is better temporarily. My advice about supplemental zinc: for routine daily supplementation, get 30 mg of a good form of zinc along with many other important nutrients by taking Molecular Multi. If you are committed to another multi that contains only 15 mg or less of what is probably a low-absorption form of zinc, add T-Cell Zinc™.
- Vitamin C – Because vitamin C quickly washes out of the body, I think it is smart to take Formula 216 for routine daily use. This unique formula protects you with C around the clock and encourages the body to make more when there is a stress. This is based on new science and no other product does that. At Formula216.com, 833-848-2216. Otherwise, vitamin C expert Tom Levy, MD suggests a daily intake of 4,000-8,000 spread throughout the day.
- Vitamin B1 – Head off problems discussed above by taking vitamin B1 before you get ill. If you take Molecular multi, you are covered. If not, add Nerve Guardian to your regimen.
- Magnesium. Magnesium isn’t a supplement specifically for covid prevention, but both zinc and vitamin D need it. It is also important for hundreds of other reasons.
- Probiotics. Remember that 70% immune function is in the gut. Viruses can hang out there waiting for opportunities. My choice is Ohhira’s Probiotics.
UNDERLYING CONDITIONS. We have heard that these increase risks from covid-19. They are all the things that we talk about on the radio show: diet, sleep, exercise, hydration, even detoxification because they damage cell membranes. In this library are nutrient protocols for many illnesses.